FARM Animal Care Version 4.0 Continuing Education Requirements
Version 4 of Animal Cares standards outline that all family and non-family employees should have annual training if the following areas if they hold responsibilities in the following areas:
- Calf Care
- Non-Ambulatory Animals
- Fitness to Transport
Examples of Potential Training Opportunities
The following is a list of potential training opportunities and programs that can be utilized for employee training:
- On-farm dairy industry stakeholder specialists
- Technical Service teams (Pharmaceutical, Reproduction, Milk Quality, etc.)
- University and Extension faculty and staff
- Beef Quality Assurance State Coordinators
- Attendance of Dairy Industry Meetings
- Formal Dairy Employee Training Programs
- Merck Dairy Care 365
- HR Mobile
- Dairy Coach
- Job Shadowing with Management
- Example: A new milker has been hired and he job shadows milker shift supervisor for a period of time. Management confirms with milker shift supervisor that the new employee is appropriately trained and can begin milking independently.
- Formal education
- Example: Animal husbandry class at university/college
- Continuing education class offering by dairy industry led program i.e. U.S. Dairy Education and Training Consortium, Penn State Online Dairy Production and Management
- Print and digital media training
- Example: FARM has a stockmanship training video available in the resources section of the website. Employees, over lunch break, watch the video in 5-10 minute segments throughout the month.
- Example: A new calf feeder has been hired for weekend feedings. There is a new article in Dairy Herd Management on proper feeding techniques and nutritional requirements that she reads and demonstrates to management that the process if fully understood.
This is not an exhaustive list of training opportunities so if there are questions as to if a certain type of opportunity is an acceptable form of training, please contact the FARM Animal Care Program at email@example.com or 703-243-6111.