Human Resources Management
- Cornell Agricultural Workforce Development Program
This program offers a variety of human resource management resources, including templates and informational
- PRO-DAIRY Program
This program has a variety of information and templates available for dairy farms. These range for tips on
how to establish your farm’s mission and values, to developing employee loyalty, and a worksheet for job
- Human Resources Management for Farm Business Office Guide
The guide explains the process of building an effective HR plan that can reduce risk, reduce turnover and
improve the quality of people you hire. Case studies use real-life examples to show how farms have successfully
worked through common issues.
- Agriculture HR Management Resources Articles
University of Wisconsin – Extension
A site devoted to aggregated resources and articles from a variety of sources.
- Labor Management Resources Articles
Michigan State University – Dairy Extension
Various articles and resources on dairy labor management.
- Employee Management Articles. Templates Links
University of Minnesota – Extension
Articles, templates, and links to other resources specific to employee management on dairy farms.
- The Balance
An abundance of templates and resources for HR management for business owners
- Iowa State Extension Dairy Team
a series of articles on employee management, ranging from recruiting, interviewing, job descriptions, and
- Penn State Extension Dairy Human Resource Webinars
Educational webinars about human resources at dairy farms from Penn State Extension.
- Penn State Extension: Employee Attraction and Selection Guide is a step by step guide for recruiting and selecting the right personal for your farm business.
- Penn State Extension also has a guide to creating job descriptions for farms.
- Example of Job Descriptions from the University of Nebraska can provide a starting point for dairies.
- Farm Safety Checklist
New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health (NYCAMH)
Created by the New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health (NYCAMH), the farm safety checklist is a
complete checklist that can be used to conduct a self-administered audit.
- Farm Safety Checks
Quick monthly review to identify and fix potential hazards before they cause harm to your family and employees –
and your bottom line. Each month, Farm Safety Check will focus on a different topic, offering checklists and
tips to help identify hazards, along with resources to remedy any problems.
- Farm Hazard Inspection Checklists
As part of the OSHA LEP programs in Wisconsin and New York, various resources were developed to guide dairy farms:
- The Wisconsin Dairy FARM LEP Guidance Documents page has a variety of resources and links relating to OSHA hazards.
- OSHA LEP Training Binder – information and resources related to the ‘Dairy Dozen’ hazards. Contains self-assessment questions and links to additional resources.
- NYCAMH’s OSHA New York Dairy LEP website contains additional safety resources.
- Penn State’s Confined-Space Manure Ventilation Design Tool. This is an online tool that manure pit designers and field engineers can use to predict how long a confined-space manure storage needs to be ventilated before it is safe to enter.
- Cultivate Safety
The National Farm Medicine Center and National Children’s Center for Rural and Agricultural Health and Safety designed the Cultivate Safety website to provide easy access to agricultural safety information and resources for farmers, ranchers, supervisors and media.
- Marshfield Clinic
Child Ag Injury Prevention Workshops; 2020 dates TBD.
- Youth Farm Safety
University of Vermont
The Youth Farm Safety Project is a farm safety resource for children and teens – and the adults who work with and care for them.
Training and Development
- Tailgate Talks
Tailgate Talks Idaho Dairymen’s Association
Tailgate Talks are manager-led safety discussions for dairy workers. Each discussion is intended to last 5-10 minutes and focuses on a topic included in the Dairy Dozen.
- Tailgate Safety Training for Employees
Ohio State University
Extension Short, 20 minute employee safety training sessions.
- Bilingual Safety Training Curriculum and Resources
University of Minnesota – Extension
Training curriculum, posters, and comics.
- Dairy Safety Training Guide
from California’s WOSHTEP and WCAHS. Available in English and Spanish, this training guide is designed to be used by owners and managers. It contains step-by-step instructions for conducting the training sessions and background information and resources for owners and managers.
- Safety Training Materials
University of Wisconsin
Training materials including Powerpoint presentations and participant workbooks.
- Safety Education Posters
New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health
Bilingual training posters
- Silage Safety
Educational online videos and DVDs in English and Spanish on starting an on-farm silage safety program. Free silage safety coloring books also available as a way to teach children, family, and employees the basics of safe silage.
- Training for Supervisors of Young Agricultural Workers
Healthier Workforce Center of the Midwest – University of Iowa
A free, evidence-based training for supervisors, parents, and teachers working with adolescent and young adult workers. Topics include supervision, training, and communicating more effectively.
- Dairy Worker Safety Training Videos
University of Wisconsin – Extension
Bilingual training videos and flashcards. See bottom of the page.
- Safe Dairy Practices
Colorado State University/HICAHS
Short video resource covering safe dairy practices, available in both English and Spanish.
English | Spanish
- Video Series: Considering Human and Animal Safety
produced under the direction of Dairy Extension Specialist Robert Hagevoort, PhD to educate dairy farm workers on
practices that will keep both the workers and the cows safe and healthy.
- Video Series: Bilingual Dairy Safety
Additional resources and trainings are available on the main National Ag Safety Database website.
- Lectures: HR Issues for the Farm and Ranch
A 3-part lecture series covering various HR issues.
- PNASH Sexual Harassment Prevention Basta! Toolkit
University of Washington
A worksite resource including training videos, trainer’s guide, model workplace policies and procedures,
posters and other key resources in both English and Spanish.
- Webinar: How Does the Welfare of People Affect the Welfare of Animals? Toolkit
Webinar presented by Robert Hagevoort from New Mexico State University.
- AgSafe has a variety of programs and services for producers, ranging from safety certificate programs to sexual harassment prevention training.
- Farm Employee University
Michigan State University Extension
Farm Employee University provides a training platform accessible to all farm employees and employers.
- Training and Education
Wester Center for Agricultural Health and Safety
A variety of training and workshop programs ranging in topics from heat and illness prevention to sexual harassment prevention, to equipment safety, and more.
- Agricultural Supervisory Leadership Certificate Program
Cornell Agricultural Workforce Development
This certificate program helps farm supervisors and managers learn and apply human resource management practices and leadership skills that foster rewarding workplaces and drive business results.